I haven’t been cooking or baking much lately ‘cause of my schedule, so I was really happy to catch a break yesterday and get inspired in the kitchen again. Cake is so good. But cake is also definitely not something you should have every day. Lol. That’s why when I’m in the mood for it, I’d rather make it so I know exactly what I’m putting in my body! If you want the healthiest version of this carrot cake, go and skip the icing. 😉
Carrot Cake Recipe
WHAT YOU NEED:
For the cake:
– 2 cups shredded carrots
– 1/2 cup fresh crushed pineapple
– 1 cup flaked coconut
– 3/4 cup walnuts
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 3 tsp cinnamon powder
– a pinch of salt
– 4 eggs
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1 & 1/2 cup vegetable oil
– 1/4 cup of mixed freshly-squeezed orange juice and lemon juice
For the icing:
– 1 pack of cream cheese
– 1/4 cup salted butter
– 1 cup powdered sugar
– 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. Mix the carrots, pineapple, coconut, and walnuts in a bowl. Let’s call this Bowl 1.
2. Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon powder, and salt in another bowl. This is Bowl 2.
3. Mix the eggs, sugar, and vegetable oil in another bowl. This is Bowl 3.
4. Slowly mix the ingredients in Bowl 2 together with the ingredients in Bowl 3. Then, slowly add the ingredients of Bowl 1.
5. Add the mixed orange juice and lemon juice to the final mix.
6. Put the mix in two separate circular tins. Bake it for 45 minutes under 165 degrees Celsius.
7. While waiting for the cakes to bake, mix the ingredients of the icing in one bowl.
7. After baking, let the two cakes cool. Then, slice the top off one cake.
9. Spread the icing on top of the cake with the sliced-off top.
10. Layer the other cake on top of it. Spread icing all over the cake and garnish with walnuts.
You can find more of my recipes on Instagram when you search the hashtag #SolennCooking.
It’s going to be our 120th Independence Day in a few days, so I think this is the best time… read more