Two years ago, I posted my almond milk recipe and until now I still get a lot of messages from people asking if I really make my own almond milk or if I just mix it with ready-made almond milk. LOL. Yes, I actually prefer making my own nut milk and honestly it isn’t as hard as you think, it just takes some time!
It’s important that you leave the almonds to soak in water overnight. And when you blend the soak almonds with fresh water in the morning, that’s what creates the white, milky color and texture. Normally, you just add honey and sea salt as a sweetener and for extra flavor, but I also like to use dried fruits. You can also use this process to create other nut milks like cashew milk. I usually like to have a glass of nut milk every day and I also use it in my cooking, like when I make curry dishes.
DIY Almond Milk Morning Smoothie Recipe
WHAT YOU NEED:
– 1 cup of almonds
– vanilla extract
– sea salt
– your choice of dried fruits
– 1 frozen banana
– flax seeds
– nut butter
HOW TO MAKE IT:
For the almond milk:
1. Soak 1 cup of almonds overnight in water.
2. The next day, throw out the old water and blend the soaked almonds in 1 liter of fresh water.
3. Strain the mixture so you just get the milk and get rid of the leftover almonds.
4. Put the fresh almond milk back in the blender and add your sweeteners and flavor enhancers like honey, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and sea salt. You can also add your choice of dried fruit—I like figs and dates. You can keep this in your fridge for up to three days.
For the smoothie:
1. Add 1 frozen banana, flax seeds, dried fruit like raisins, sea salt, and a nut butter like peanut or almond butter. Blend until smooth!
Et voilà! I like to drink mine on the go 🙂
You can find more of my recipes on Instagram when you search the hashtag #SolennCooking!