Quiche Lorraine is a traditional French recipe from Lorraine, France and it’s a little different from the small quiches you see in bakeries here, because this one is as big as a pie. In France, they use lardons (pork fat) but for this recipe I used bacon and your usual quiche Lorraine ingredients like eggs, cheese, and cream. You can’t really go wrong with all those things together and this is one of those dishes that look like it took a lot of effort to do, but it’s really so easy to make. I think you can make it an alternative to pizza and I normally like to serve it when I have a bunch of people over. It’s super versatile also and you can have it for brekky, lunch, or dinner. Don’t forget to watch the vid below to see how I do it!
My Quiche Lorraine Recipe
Makes 2 quiche Lorraines
WHAT YOU NEED:
– 2 sheets of puff pastry (you can buy this in groceries)
– 5 thick-cut slices of bacon (or you can use salmon also)
– 2 chopped onions
– 1.5 Tbsp cornstarch
– 1.5 cup milk
– 1.5 cup heavy cream
– 8 eggs
– 1 egg yolk
– 1 cup of gruyere and emmental cheese, shredded
– pepper and salt to taste
– cayenne, paprika, or chili flakes (to taste)
– a pinch and a half of nutmeg
– shredded cheddar cheese to top
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. Preheat your oven.
2. Slice and fry the bacon in its own oil. When cooked, put the bacon on a plate lined with tissue to absorb excess oil.
3. In the same pan, use about 1 Tbsp of the leftover bacon oil to fry the chopped onions.
4. Mix the cornstarch and milk, adding the milk gradually so the cornstarch dissolves properly. Add the cream.
5. Add the eggs, egg yolk, shredded cheeses, pepper and salt, and spices to the mix. Set aside.
6. Dust some flour on your clean kitchen table. Roll puff pastry using a pin (or use a bottle of wine like I did lol).
7. Line a pie pan with the puff pastry. Don’t forget to poke holes on the puff pastry using a fork so it doesn’t rise too high.
8. Put the bacon and onion first, spreading it all over the puff pastry. Then pour the mixture on top.
9. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
10. Put the quiche in the oven (my temp was set at 250 degrees). Bake it for about 20 to 30 minutes (or even 15 minutes, depending on your oven).
11. Let it cool before slicing and serving.
You can find more of my recipes on Instagram when you search the hashtag #SolennCooking 🙂