My friend Nix and I made Asian Chili Crabs while at #theMONOhouse. As usual, recipes you can find under #SolennCooking are pretty simple to do, but they look bongga and they’re always fun to share with people. Doesn’t food just taste better when you’re sharing? You can try this on a weekend or whenever you have more time to cook. Watch the vid below, tag me on Instagram when you try it out, and let me know what you think!
Asian Chili Garlic Crabs, The Mono House Style Recipe
WHAT YOU NEED:
– 2 kg large crabs (preferably female)
– 1 cup garlic, finely minced
– 1/2 cup ginger, finely minced
– 1/2 cup green onions, finely chopped
– 1/2 cup coriander or wansoy leaves (young), finely chopped
– 1/2 cup butter
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 1/4 cup sesame oil
– 1/2 cup brown sugar
– 4 red chilis, finely chopped
– 4 green chillis, finely chopped
– 1 tsp all-spice powder
– 1/4 cinnamon
– 1/2 Tbsp salt
– 1/2 Tbsp pepper black
– 1/2 Tbsp white pepper
– 1/2 cup cornstarch
– 1/4 cup rice wine or white wine
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. Clean crabs properly then steam for 10 minutes.
2. Set aside to cool then chop in halves or in quarters, depending on the crab’s size.
3. Dust the crabs with cornstarch, salt, and the black and white peppers.
4. Fry in regular oil in batches until crisp, for around 4 minutes each time.
5. Set aside to cool.
6. In a large wok or pan, heat the butter in olive oil.
7. Add the garlic and ginger until slightly brown.
8. Add red and green chillis. Cook until they’re soft.
9. Add brown sugar until it dissolves.
10. Add all-spice powder.
11. Add the rice or white wine and cook until the alcohol evaporates.
12. Add the green onions and wansoy. Save some for garnishing.
13. Add the sesame oil last. Mix everything together for a minute.
14. Mix in the fried crabs thoroughly.
15. Lower heat and cover the wok or pan for 8 minutes.
16. Transfer the chili crabs in a large bowl, making sure that you get the sauce in it. Garnish with the remaining green onions and wansoy. Serve it with a side of garlic noodles.
Et voilà! Watch the vid below and try it out for yourself 🙂