I love milk but every time I drink regular milk, I always feel bloated and gross. They say it’s the lactose in milk that does that. Does it happen to you, too? Anyway, this why I switched to almond milk recently. It doesn’t leave me with a yucky feeling after I drink it (because it’s lactose-free) and if you’re counting, it can be low in calories also. A lot of the almond milk in groceries can get really high in sugar though, so I thought… Why not just make my own? Lol. At least I know what’s going in my drink. Soo here’s how I did it!
WHAT YOU NEED:
– 1 cup raw almonds
– 3 Tbsp honey
– 2 tsp vanilla
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1 tsp garam masala
– dates, raisins, or figs (optional)
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. Top the almonds with water and store it in a jar overnight.
2. The next day, throw out the water from the jar. Put the almonds in a blender with 4 cups of fresh water. Blend it until smooth!
To your left are the almonds left in water overnight. On the right are normal almonds.
3. Strain the mixture to get rid of the almond bits. You can also use your hands to squeeze.
4. Pour the almond “milk” back in the blender with the honey, vanilla, cinnamon, and garam masala. Add a little more or less depending on your taste, or add dates, raisins, or figs to sweeten it up a bit.
5. Blend et voilà! Homemade almond milk.:)
You can find more of my recipes on Instagram when you search the hashtag #SolennCooking!
I think everyone here has binged on food at least once. Or maybe you do it more than you like?… read more