I always get asked if I eat carbs, meat, dessert… And I really do, I swear. I don’t believe that healthy eating means depriving yourself of food, because that actually just makes you crave and binge eat even more. So what I do is I just look for healthy alternatives to everything. I know I definitely need carbs, because I need energy to go through life, but I also know I don’t have to get it from white rice that’s super high in sugar.
That’s why I’m sharing with you my secret carb: adlai. Adlai is a plant that produces grains and it grows naturally here in the Philippines. It’s a great substitute for rice, because it contains less carbs, but it’s just as filling. #Winninginlife, right? It’s also as easy to cook as rice! This is where I usually get my adlai from.
If you’re not sure what to do with this relatively new carb, here’s a recipe I love to do: an adlai salad that’s super simple and easy to make, but also so yummy.
Amazingly Easy Adlai Salad
WHAT YOU NEED:
– 1 cup adlai
– red bell peppers, chopped
– jalapeños (you can get the ones from a jar)
– red onions, chopped
– cilantro, chopped
(As usual, you can add as much veggies as you want, depending on your taste.)
For the dressing:
– 2 Tbsp olive oil
– 1 tsp Dijon mustard
– 2 tsp lime juice
– ground cumin (to taste)
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. Cook 1 cup of adlai like you would cook rice. 1 cup of adlai = 1/2 cup of water. Set aside.
2. Mix the cooked adlai with the red bell peppers, jalapeños, red onions, and cilantro in a bowl.
3. For the dressing, mix the olive oil, mustard, lime juice, and ground cumin for the dressing in a separate bowl. Et voilà! You’re done.
P.S. If you will prep this for baon, don’t forget to pack the salad and the dressing separately so it’s still fresh when you eat it.
As always, you can search the hashtag #SolennCooking on Instagram so you can see more of my recipes!